History of the House>
Annandale House was built in the 1880s by Edwin Delevan Tillson, the first mayor of Tillsonburg and son of the town's founder, George Tillson.
It was named a National Historic Site in 1997 and is considered one of the best surviving examples of the Aesthetic Art Movement in Canada.
Vision and legacy
Admission and hours
Annandale House was the retirement home of Tillsonburg's first mayor, E.D. Tillson, and was the centrepiece of a 600-acre model farm called Annandale Farm.
In 1882, Tillson and his wife Mary Ann attended Oscar Wilde's "The House Beautiful" lecture in Woodstock, Ontario and applied much of what they heard about the Aesthetic Art Style, when decorating their new home.
Third Floor (currently closed for renovations)
Annandale House was sold in 1911 following death of Mrs. Mary Ann Tillson. In 1928, the home was renamed Coniston Place by new owner, Dr. Charles Van Dyke Corless
In 1954, the house was passed on to Corless' daughter, Florence Burn.
In 1981, Annandale House was facing possible demolition. A group of concerned citizens began a fundraising campaign to purchase and restore the home. Remarkably, the group did not ask for any local tax dollars to achieve their vision. Instead, they asked the municipality to cover the ongoing operational costs. The Town agreed, and the group moved forward with its plan.
George Tillson and his family were the founders of Tillsonburg. They came to the area from Enfield, Massachusetts, and like most settlers, came to the area seeking better opportunities for their family.
In 1822, they settled near Normandale, and established a furnace works. During a journey inland in 1824, George discovered an area that would one day bear his name.
George's son, Edwin Delevan Tillson became the town's first mayor and chief industrialist.